Tuesday, July 10, 2007


The election is over, but are the problems in Timor?  For now the answer is no.   It seems we have stumbled upon a weak part of the constitution and it is now under debate.  Fretilin won the election although only has around 30% of the vote.  All the other winning parties decided to immediately form a coalition contacting the remaining 70%.  Now they are debating over whether Fretilin can just form a minority government or that the coalition which does not contain the election winner can form the government.  The debate is over two words in the constitution alliance and coalition.  Fretilin says they are not the same and the rest say they are.  Of course the debate is on the Portuguese words in which the constitution is written and which many Timorese poorly understand and don’t know well enough to speak.   Getty up. 





No comments: