Sunday, November 06, 2011

Island Time

I am back from my US tour (10 days of awesomeness + 4 days on the airplane or layovers just getting from place to place). I had a true departure from the Marshals on friday eve as I tried avoid friends forcing a few too many on me before getting on the plane. It didn't work as friend managed to get a couple beers and shots in me, so I stumbled to the gate. Was all fun and games until I woke up halfway through the flight to Hawaii with a terrible hangover and a old sock of a continental airlines omelet in front of me. I thought for sure I was going to have to bless the mile high barf bag for the first time but managed to hold it off. After the annoying transfer in Hawaii, avoid at all costs I managed to make it to Albuquerque where things got better fast. Phil and Liz took me over to my new house, first time I was actually in it since I bought it in June. Pizza and chatting about the latest tv shows and I was on my way to full dose of Americanness.

I had a great time in NM, highlights include a sewage plant tour with my mom, you know one of those things you dream about doing all your life. 7am sunday hot yoga with our new favorite instructor Liz. And of course the food. The best was the night before I left my mom went all out and prepared Thanksgiving dinner. It was no sham, and for me was the real thing just a month early. Turkey, mash potatoes, stuffing, pees, salad, cranberries, the works, it was all there. The whole gang showed up with Jake and his family were there, my dad, and phil and liz. My brother's family are doing well. Got some time with the kids who are very happy.

Next I was off to my friend Emily's wedding in Indiana. Was a bit colder there but warmed up slightly for the outdoor ceremony which was nice. Was beautiful in the colorful trees. I got to meet a bunch of new people from her life there and a couple of old friends from peace corps, Sarah and Lisa. There was even two different Marshal Island connections there, weird. As usual, as a wedding guest, the highlight was the reception. They had a band which provided many excellent dancing tunes. Although the best part was when Rob, the groom, played some songs for emily with a band made up of his wedding party. He totally rocked it. The night before the wedding we all also managed to dress up for halloween and attempt to party although many of were tired from traveling. The bride and groom did the best job as Elvira and Frankenstein. I dressed up like Rick Perry, republican presidential candidate, who I find particularly idiotic. I found a especially presidential tie and made some campaign buttons telling the truth of his slogans. For instance the flat tax: making the rich richer and poor poorer. Amazingly, a guy in the elevator told me he liked my costume and Perry. I asked him if he read my buttons and he said he did like to read.

Lastly was off to DC to see Ira's new baby and catchup with Ira, Dylan, and Sarah (who was also at the wedding). We got to see the new dc monument to MLK which was sweet, the first to a non-president. I liked the statue but wasn't a huge fan of the rest of it. Seems most favor the opposite. They say the statue looks chinese. I couldn't tell. Ira's baby, Parker, is super cute as expected. Ira and Dylan also got a day off and we were able to get out for a hike. Good work vacation team. Next is the xmas holiday. Not sure what is in the plans but probably an week in asia...

Now I am back in the Marshals. Was a warm welcome on saturday when I found my apartment with no power. A trip to the electric company and waiting 45 min for the drunk receptionist to make it in to work righted that. Yesterday got out on a boat with some friends to try my hand at skurfing. That is surfing behind a boat. It quite difficult and I couldn't master it but did do a great job at being an idiot. That is I am now sunburned and look like a ripe tomato. First day back at work is going to be fun...

lv ya - jesse

No comments: