Sunday, March 04, 2007

Back in the doo doo

Got back into Timor last night after a week in Bali.  I ended up doing just what I needed to and nothing more.  a little shopping the first day then just relaxed the remainder of the week.  I was going to go for a hike, go surfing, go to ubud, and some other stuff but just decided sitting by the pool, eating well, and hanging about was a better.  I did end up going to a good dance club which I haven't done since coming back to Timor and got my dancing feet going again.  But really I just slept a lot. 
 
I came back to Timor just as security has begun to get worse.  Timor is on the international news again.  You can read about it on bbc and cnn.  Tension has risen and most people are not going to work, they are just waiting to see if the violence blows over.  I have asked that none of my staff come to work this week as it doesn't seem worth the risk.  Although we will keep some basic services going such as water trucking as it is important and could make things worse if it was stopped.  It is frustrating as we can't get work done in this automosphere.  I don't know but best case scenario for East Timor doesn't look great and worse case probably means civil war.  Who knows really with tons of rumors flying around.  I am pessimistic about Timor future but optimistic that the violence and political instability will not get worse.  The upcoming elections do seem unlikely to happen though and violence will probably continue at its current level.  AVI has decided to evacuate Timor again which is not a good sign.
 
The situation near my house is not great so sarah have are not staying there right now.  Our area is not bad but two really bad areas are on either side of us.  We got out yesterday after I returned and are now staying with friends.  As I left my house there was an illegal road block just down the street with glass rocks and maybe 50 youth.  They waved my by as to get me out before they were about the fight.  We will definitely wait until it gets a bit calmer before going back.  anyway still safer that US and way more interesting. lv jesse
 
jessepants@gmail.com
------------------------------------
flipflop...not a shoe...a lifestyle.

No comments: