Thursday, April 19, 2007

Going to America

Wow, has it really been a month since my last post.  Sorry.  Anyway things are good.  I just got back from Bali again after a week there for a Timor friend's wedding.  The wedding was amazing although it is hard not to be when in Bali.

I have decided to go back to the US finally.  Although work with Plan for the last 5 months has been great and challenging I have gradually grown less and less happy with the situation here.  The weight of the security situation as well as the distance from home has continued to bear down on me and have decided to finish up position by May.   Additionally with the passing of my grandfather I need a visit with family.  I will be flying home in early may to attend a couple weddings as well as visit with family. 

Although this will not be permanent as I have just accepted another position here in Timor..  The position is for three months to work directly with the water and sanitation department of the Timorese government.  I will be an advisor to the cheif of urban water supply.  This job is an excellent opportunity and I can't pass it up.

As you may of seen on the international news Timor has just had the first round of the presidential election here and it went off surprisingly well.  It looks as though things are actually calming down and getting better although there still seems to be a lot of tension in the street.  I think it will be fine and the signs are all around.  This week what used to be the largest market in Dili has started to come back almost doubling in size in a couple days.  It seems people are feeling safer and thinking about returning home. 

I hope to see some of you soon!  I will be in Tucson, AZ in early may followed by NM then Rochester, NY then Philadelphia, then back to NM.  Take care
love jesse


--
Jesse Shapiro
Water and Sanitation Engineer
Plan International
jessepants@gmail.com
------------------------------------
flipflop...not a shoe...a lifestyle.

3 comments:

Essa said...

Better see the movie, "The Last King of Scotland" before committing to that new job, yo.

Anonymous said...

Your itinerary doesn't have a stop in NYC on May 12, does it? We're having the Evac Reunion then. That would rock if you dropped by!

Jessica said...

Bali is a wonderful place, and certainly one of the best places for a wedding. When it's a friend's wedding then the joy is double. Hope that u had a great time there.